Friday, September 11, 2015

I wanted to post this while it's still relevant. Hopefully it won't be tomorrow.



Your name plays in my head over and over again.

I can't stop hearing the way you say your name. Why do you have to have one of the sweetest voices? Your voice is tree sap heated over the stove on a crisp winter day. 

One day you faced me and I could see your eyes. They were twinkling so much that I still can't decide what color they are. Your fringed black lashes are long and stunning and just too much. On that day when you walked straight toward me, I should have looked away but I couldn't. I might be the most obvious person I know. But you were too captivating. Your face was glowing too much. When you passed me, our shoulders brushed and I hated you for it.

Say hello, for Pete's sake.

I want to know you. Like really know you. It's not enough that I only see you on a screen, that you only exist as an idea in my head. I want to say words to you. I want you to say words to me.

The problem is, I just can't bring myself to talk to you. Every time you're in the room, I fall over like a Jenga set and all my blocks are scattered. Sliding across the floor to the north, my ability to stay calm. Spilling on the floor to the south, my courage. Over there, my social skills. And landing on the ground almost too far away to find, my means of coping if the boy I'm totally crushing on doesn't have the same feelings for me.

Maybe you aren't really that cool. Maybe we aren't really made for each other. Probably. But how will I ever know if I let myself crash again and again? It might take some glue or a sturdy box, but I will stack myself back up and stay intact for you. I will. I must.
I just might need you to bring me the glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment