Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Story of a Girl

How would it be to tell the story of a girl who's lost much hope
for things she once knew?
Would I say she's kind and happy on the outside
but
beating herself up every day on the inside?
Is her heart still
pounding against her chest--
the familiar feeling of possibility?
Or is it
stone frozen, abandoned, and defeated?
I might explain that people stare into her, judging her, seeing everything she wishes
they wouldn't see.
Maybe people don't see.
Maybe she just believes they do.
And perhaps there is nothing to be afraid of at all.
I could add that she feels
pain.
This girl tries to push that pain
away but sometimes
it doesn't work.
The staring people only see that she is kind.
They don't know her
pain.
But then, in order to make the story kinder
but still true,
I would mention that she has dreams.
They are real.
Because of them she notices the little birds that have
fallen off trees
and how it warms her frozen heart by reminding her that life is beautiful
and she must not take it for granted.
Despite the high, buzzing ring in her ears, she can still hear
music.
It still hurts to sing sometimes,
but she still sings
music.
Or maybe...
scratch that.
I was just about to remind you of her suffering, but if I'm going to tell this girl's story right, I don't have to include all those things. I can merely say she has had a roller coaster of a life experience like all other humans. At times she has lost hope. But it is her dreams that take her to new worlds,
or rather,
keep her grounded in this one.
It is those good people that don't judge, but support her. It is the baby bird, or the little brother that have gone through hard things and been stronger than everything. Her life has been touched. She has been inspired by the people she loves
and who love her.
She has it good. She is not alone. She has not lost hope.
You know, when I tell the story of this girl I'll be absolutely sure
to tell of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment