Last night I went and saw the Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebration of music for Pioneer Day. The guest performer, Santino Fontana, is known by most for playing the--(spoiler alert)--bad-guy Prince Hans from Disney's Frozen. I've actually been a fan of his since Cinderella on Broadway, which has been for maybe a year.
Anyway, the point is, the concert was In.Cred.I.Ble. Santino's voice brought me to another time. (And he's a great storyteller as well.) I've never been
so inspired watching the MoTab and Orchestra at Temple Square. The music
filled my soul and warmed me to the center of my being. And I think I
know what that was: the Holy GhostIt was impossible for me to feel sad while sitting there being immersed in what the performers and musicians had to offer. It was impossible for me to be worried about my daily life. I was so happy, so warm, so light.
One specific moment that I'll never forget was when the Orchestra at Temple Square performed the "Hot Pipes" movement from Victor Davies’ Jazz Concerto for Organ and Orchestra. Richard Elliott had an organ solo, and three other members of the orchestra had solos on their respective instruments as well. I kid you not, that piece took me somewhere else. I was no longer at the Tabernacle, I was on a grassy hill by a lake. I could feel the warm breeze and the smell of freshwater was wafting through the air. The music was playing there. I was at a wedding. Round glass tables were strewn about. People were eating crepes and gilato. Others were dancing along to the music.
I think I was dancing, too.
After some of my favorite showtunes and new ones I'd never heard but loved, it was time for the finale. Santino, choir, and orchestra introduced something brand spankin' new to the audience: a Happy medley. Santino and the choir sang, among other songs, some Bye Bye Birdie, a song called "Make Someone Happy," and ended with Pharrell William's well-known song "Happy." KC Fralick was sitting next to me and it was refreshing to share our passion for Broadway and theater and music and Santino. :) I couldn't have asked for a better buddy to be with at the concert. I couldn't have asked for a better concert.

No comments:
Post a Comment