Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Am Not A Hippie

Despite what my brother Aaron thinks, I'm actually not a hippie. But there are a couple aspects of their practices that I like a whole lot, specifically this one:

Having a good relationship with the earth.


This, of course, is not unique to just hippies. But whoever practices loving the earth and spending time with it is doing something good not only for the earth, but for themselves.

The August 2014 Reader's Digest (because believe everything is says, right?) has an article called "The Outdoors Heals Your Heart" by Joel K. Kahn, MD. I just like it because it talks about how you should be outside more often and why.

1. "Stroll in the Sun." Walk outdoors for 15-30 mins daily for Vitamin D and healthy blood pressure from nitric oxide.
2. "Try Forest Bathing." In Japan it's a common practice for health called shinrin-yoku. Walking through wooded areas apparently lowers your levels of stress hormone cortisol, reduces your heart rate and blood pressure.
3. "Walk Barefoot (When You Can)." So there's this electrical current in the earth that is a "stabilizing force for good health." Benefits: antioxidants, favorable effects on thyroid function, blood thickening and blood sugar metabolism.
4. "Trade the Gym for a Park." Yeah, so exercise outside. Reduces anger, tension, and depression.

It's so awesome. The earth is lovely, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment